A workshop on Strengthening and Integrating TB & Malaria within the HIV Gender Response was organised by W4GF with the support of ViiV Healthcare, Stop TB Partnership, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund), and the Communities Delegation on the Board of the Global Fund on 6 – 8 December 2015. This workshop was hosted by Pangaea Zimbabwe AIDS Trust and held at the Bronte Hotel, Harare, Zimbabwe.
The workshop brought together 40 HIV, TB and malaria advocates primarily from Africa, with the participation of W4GF Steering Group Members from Latin America and Asia; as well as colleagues from the Global Fund Secretariat, technical agencies and in-country technical partners to:
- Strengthen the capacity and responses of HIV gender advocates around TB and malaria to engage in country level processes (including National Strategic Plans, Global Fund Country Dialogues, and Country Coordinating Mechanisms) from a gender equality perspective;
- Inform W4GF advocates on the new HIV/TB Gender Assessment Tool and other gender-related tools for advocacy on gender-transformative programmes on HIV, TB and malaria during country processes;
- Share the new Global Fund Strategic Framework 2017 – 2021 to (a) identify key next steps and actions at country level for implementation and monitoring, and (b) understand how the Global Fund Strategic Framework 2017 – 2021 supports Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and how it relates to the gender response; and
- Identify areas of synergies, as well as gaps and challenges on integrating gender into HIV, TB and malaria programmes to feed into the process of operationalising the Global Fund Key Strategic Framework 2017 – 2022.
This workshop is the first of a series leading up to the new allocation cycle in 2017, and served to prepare and support W4GF gender equality advocates in country to strengthen their capacity to be involved proactively during country level processes to influence and affect gender-transformative programming.
Main outcomes of the workshop included:
- increased number of W4GF HIV advocates trained on TB and malaria who are able to advocate for using the results of various gender assessment tools to inform and influence national level processes;
- increased number of W4GF advocates who are knowledgeable about the new Global Fund Strategic Framework, on how Universal Health Coverage (UHC) relates to the Strategic Framework and the work of the Global Fund and health systems and community responses;
- increased number of W4GF advocates informed on the Global Fund 5th Replenishment Meeting and the community mobilisation efforts necessary leading up to the 5th Replenishment Meeting in 2017;
- increased number of W4GF HIV advocates who are aware of the HIV/TB gender assessment and related tools to inform gender-transformative programming at country level; and
- A more informed and relevant W4GF Secretariat to support the work of W4GF advocates in 2017.
W4GF thanks all participants and co-organisors for their participation and support, and more details of the report will be shared in the coming weeks!
For more pictures of the workshop, please visit our facebook page.