W4GF’s strength is rooted in building and sustaining connections among women in all of our diversity, and building an effective global movement. The core work of the W4GF Team is to build, strengthen and sustain W4GF as a virtual network of diverse advocates who promote gender equity through the Global Fund, and to secure the infrastructure that will support our work and activities in a cohesive manner.
In less than a decade, W4GF has grown significantly as a movement, has had major advocacy successes, and has seen transformation and growth through the extension of global partnerships. These partnerships enable the expansion and reach of the W4GF movement, to mobilise more Advocates, especially those already engaged with partners who may not otherwise engage with the W4GF agenda, and to maximise the impact of W4GF Advocacy.
Beyond the administrative partnership with ICASO (the International Council of AIDS Service Organisations, and in time the Eastern Africa National Networks of AIDS and Health Service Organisations, (EANNASO) as fiscal agents – there are broadly three types of W4GF partnership:
- Engagement with networks of women living with the three diseases, including the International Community of Women Living with HIV (ICW Global), the Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+), TB Women and Civil Society 4 Malaria Elimination (CS4ME) networks; and global and regional networks of key affected women, in particular the Global Network of Sex Work Projects (NSWP), the African Sex Workers Alliance (ASWA), the International Network of People who use Drugs (INPUD), Harm Reduction International (HRI) Global Action for Trans Equality (GATE) and Frontline AIDS;
- Collaborate with the Global Fund-oriented structures, including the Global Fund Secretariat – notably the teams focused on Community, Rights and Gender (CRG), the six Global Fund CRG communication platforms, the Global Funds Advocates Network (GFAN) and HER Voice Fund, and the three civil society and Communities Delegations to the Global Fund Board – to ensure two-way dialogues with W4GF Advocates, to support each other’s work and to align priorities for advocacy;
- Strengthening Technical partnerships especially with UNAIDS (working with HQ & Regional Teams, also to prioritise countries for expansion), UN Women, WHO, the Stop TB Partnership and the RBM Partnership to End Malaria, to maintain dialogue and in particular to support advocates at national and regional levels to hone their advocacy skills and impact.
Created in 2013, W4GF has been supported by the following partners and/or donors either through core funding of the W4GF Team or project funding of workshops organised and facilitated by W4GF:
- Through the Community, Rights and Gender Department of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- Stop TB Partnership
- Communities Delegation to the Board of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- ViiV Healthcare’s Positive Action Programme