Calling Women4GlobalFund advocates who work in TB!! Need skills on public speaking & media skills for TB R&D advocacy? Globally, TB is the greatest cause of death of people living with HIV, and ranks above HIV as one of the leading causes of death from an infectious disease. Whilst current data shows that more men than women are diagnosed with TB and die from it, TB can have severe consequences for women, especially during their reproductive years.
Apply before: November 4, 2016
The week of January 30, 2017, the ACTION global health advocacy partnership (www.ACTION.org) will host a public speaking and media skills training for TB Research and Development (R&D) researchers and affected communities.
The training will support participants to more powerfully advocate to end TB and ensure the TB response, including a specific focus on R&D, is fully-funded, both in their country and internationally. The intensive training will include presentations, discussions, and participatory exercises on media engagement, interview techniques, message development & delivery, and social media.
The training curriculum builds on 11 years of successful media trainings organised by ACTION, with past participants from the fields of advocacy, politics, community activism (social mobilisation), communications, and health care! In the past, participants have continued to collaborate with ACTION and other global colleagues on shared advocacy and media work, including blogs, op-eds, and media tours to donor capitals long after the initial training.
The training will be led by an experienced BBC journalist with 20+ years of experience. The costs of traveling to and participating in the training will be covered by ACTION. The location, anticipated to be in Europe, is to be confirmed. Potential participants should:
- Be engaged in TB research/R&D and/or personally affected by TB.
- Commit to advancing TB R&D advocacy through improved media & public speaking skills in their own countries and/or regionally.
- Have an excitement and willingness to work collaboratively with ACTION partners to end the tuberculosis epidemic and ensure that R&D is fully-funded.
- Have buy-in and support from their organisation to do media work.
- Have a good understanding of English in writing and speaking.
- Be legally able to travel internationally.
- Have the technical ability to receive and send emails on a regular basis and be reachable by phone.
To apply, send the following to email@example.com by November 4, 2016.
1. Short letter of motivation (500 words or less) about why you want to join this training, highlighting any past public or community speaking experience as well as your involvement in TB R&D from a research or affected community perspective.
2. A recent copy of your résumé or CV highlighting relevant experience (no more than 2 pages).
3. The contact information for a reference who can speak to your work on, and commitment to, the fight against tuberculosis.
For additional information contact: Mandy Slutsker, Policy & Advocacy Manager, ACTION Secretariat
C/o RESULTS Educational Fund
What is ACTION?
ACTION is a partnership of 12 locally rooted organisations around the world that advocate together to build political will and increase investments for global health. Our partners: Æquitas (India), CITAM+ (Zambia), Global Health Advocates France, Global Health Advocates India, Kenya AIDS NGOs Consortium, Princess of Africa Foundation (South Africa), RESULTS International Australia, RESULTS Canada, RESULTS Japan, RESULTS Educational Fund (US), RESULTS UK, WACI Health (Kenya). Details on our partners can be found here! And learn more at www.ACTION.org and on Twitter @ACTION_Tweets.