Calling W4GF advocates working on Tuberculosis – Deadline for nominations has been extended until 31st August 2016
The Union Board of Directors consists of twenty four members – seven regional representatives, four scientific section representatives, eleven individual member representatives and two members nominated by the President. At least two positions on the Board are renewed annually and outgoing Board members may be re-elected for not more than two terms.
This year there are three seats available for individual representatives, two of which are for members of affected communities. The seats that are up for election are highlighted in the current Board list. Among the factors that members are asked to carefully consider when making nominations are the following:
- The importance of sustaining the representation on the Board by two members who have been directly affected by TB,HIV, or lung health problems such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- The Bye-laws statement that “particular attention should be paid to parity between the sexes on the Board of Directors”
- The fact that many of the priorities of the Board require expertise in the following areas: accountancy and finance, management sciences, law and communications.
None of the nominations received by the closing date of 11th July were from members of the affected communities and none have expertise in finance, management sciences or law. Many of the nominations received were for individuals who only recently became members of The Union.
The call for nominations has been re-opened and extended until 31st August 2016. We urge you to reach out across your networks to identify and nominate candidates who can contribute to the important governance work of The Union Board according to the current needs in the make-up of the Board.
The Nominating Committee will ensure that all nominees with completed nomination documents will be put forward for election. The Nominating Committee will recommend a slate of candidates that it feels best matches the overall needs of the Board and the criteria outlined above. The membership will be able vote either electronically or at the General Assembly which will be held during the 47th Union World Conference on Lung Health in Liverpool in October 2016.
Those wishing to apply must fulfil the following conditions:
- Have paid the 2016 membership fee
- Complete the application form and submit a short curriculum vitae
- Receive the endorsement of their application by two Union members
- Be willing and able to undertake the responsibilities of being a Union Board Member, including being available for the first Board Meeting in Liverpool which will take place after the General Assembly on 29 October 2016. Please click here for further details.
Contact The Union through firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further information.