The Global Fund’s Fifth Voluntary Replenishment (16-17th September 2016) will be held in Montreal, hosted by the Government of Canada and will address financial support for the allocation cycle 2017 – 2019. Programmes supported by the Global Fund have saved 20 million lives since 2002, and is on track to save 22 million lives by the end of 2016. Through the Global Fund Investment Case the Global Fund is calling for a minimum of US$13 billion in contributions estimated to save 8 million lives; avert 300 million new infections; create US$41 billion in domestic investment; and lead to US$290 billion in long term economic gains. For live updates on country pledges visit Global Fund Advocates Network (GFAN) here
The Global Fund Strategy 2017 – 2022: Investing to End Epidemics underscores and reiterates the commitment of donors and implementing countries towards achieving gender equality and promoting human rights, and towards key/vulnerable populations.
The International Community of Women Living with HIV and AIDS (ICW), Women4GlobalFund (W4GF), and the Communities Delegation to the Board of the Global Fund launched a campaign at the Durban 2016 International AIDS Conference to empower women’s voices around the implementation of the new Global Fund Strategy and the upcoming Global Fund 5th Replenishment – ‘What is the Global Fund women want?’ To get involved please tweet with the hash tag #theglobalfundwomenwant NOW and share your messages!!
To read the full statement click here
Before the Replenishment Ensure that the Global Fund is Fully Funded
- Continue to work with key partners in different countries/regions to maintain momentum in the lead up to the pledging conference on remaining donors that have not pledged;
- Lobby parliamentarians to support global statements that concentrate on specific donors and their embassies if there are concerns that pledges may not be sustained/ increased;
- Showcase effective national initiatives that demonstrate how women in all their diversity have changed lives and are essential to ending HIV, TB and malaria;
- Support and work with the GFAN and its hubs in Africa and the Asia-Pacific by joining in the call for a fully funded Global Fund; Also see the GFAN Communications toolkit on the replenishment accessible here
- Join ICW/W4GF in its #theglobalfundwomenwant campaign through sharing your messages on twitter and Facebook. Please tag @ICW_Global @ICWEastAfrica @Women4GF @GFadvocate on twitter.
Following the Replenishment
- Call on governments to increase their domestic financing and monitor that domestic financing increases are going to the three diseases;
- Monitor the implementation of programmes and hold governments accountable to ensure Global Fund programmes more effective and efficient.